Saturday, May 21, 2011

Thrift Store Redo


Here is my latest creation for Sophia.  I have to admit her closet is plenty full of dresses, but I couldn't resist making this dress from a circle skirt I got at a thrift store.  This is how I started sewing.  In high school I bought things from thrift stores and tweaked them.





Here is the one hiccup I encountered.  I didn't plan to have the back open, so I realized as I was sewing it that it wasn't going to fit over her head.  At 11:00 last night it seemed like a good idea to do do buttons to attach the straps.  (The buttons face the inside)  You could see the button holes a little.  I put bows on to cover the button holes.  But the front is now a little floppy and doesn't lay flat like I would like.  I will probably mess with it tonight.



Here I flipped the dress around so the bows are in back.

Before
This is how I laid the pattern out to cut.
Making the straps was surprisingly easy.  
I just ironed the excess fabric under the lace and topstitched.


No comments:

Post a Comment